Scotland 2006

A blog/journal of my preparations and trip to Scotland 2006.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Random notes

In the villages, it's hard to get much more on TV than BBC1, BBC2, ITV, five, and several Sky channels, which seem to be mostly sport. At the Ramada in Glasgow, there was digital or dish access because there were several more channels, though not nearly the number in the US. I'd seen Strictly Come Dancing while I was at Kincraig House, the British version of Dancing with the Stars. Jeremy Kyle is a sort of Jerry Springer/Dr. Phil talk show host, but no bouncers.

All the women in Glasgow seemed to wear their winter scarves identically.

Signs caution against "drink drivers" rather than "drunk drivers." Potato chips are crisps and they come in the most unusual flavors--prawn cocktail, lamb and mint, roast chicken. Blech. There are "sweet and savoury" shops so you can buy sweets of mince pies (I'm not sure I'd categorize that as a sweet), shorties, cakes (muffins), tarts and more, or you can buy a savoury like a sausage roll or a toastie.

Wherever there are road signs for men working, there are inevitably "Queues likely" signs and signs apologizing (apologising) for the inconvenience.

The mail trucks are little panel trucks, not really minivans. They are red with yellow lettering--Royal Mail.

As of Jan 2, my luggage has not yet returned to me. I went to O'Hare on Jan 1 just to talk with a human being who explained to me that baggage is always a nightmare at Heathrow during the holidays. "Excess" luggage is always put on the last flight of the day, but it's rare they can send more than a few bags because of weight restrictions. And they try to send the non-US resident/visitor bags first because the rest of us are home and can more easily get replacements or have options. Still, would love to have the rest of my pictures and my souvenirs.

When I've got everything back and developed, I'll be posting photos at www.kodakgallery.com. I'll post more information when the rest of the photos are up and ready for viewing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home