Scotland 2006

A blog/journal of my preparations and trip to Scotland 2006.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

12.28: On the bonny shores of Loch Lomond

I had breakfast around 9A at The Hotel Stewart. The "landlady" fed Reggie, the resident Indian Blue peacock. He makes dreadful sounds--you'd think a bird that lovely could make lovelier sounds. The previous hotel owner had had 5 peacocks. They know that 2 were fox food, but aren't sure what happened to the other 2. Reggie was a bit poorly when they first took over the hotel, but he has regrown his tail feathers and is quite spritely now. They had bought two peahens for him, but they literally flew the coop. Fortunately, the hotel owners know where the peahens have gone and will go fetch them in the spring. The landlady and I chatted a bit more--I think she's quite lonely--and then I was on the road again.

First I headed south a bit to the Castle View Cafe, which was closed, but has lovely view of a castle ruin. The sky was mostly clear that morning and it was very very cold.

Then I headed north back to Ballachulish. I stopped several times to take pictures. It took me over 2 hours to get past Glencoe, probably a total of about 30 miles. The roads were narrow and winding, but with a clear blue sky, every turn seemed like another post card shot. I walked a bit in a few places, but the wind was fierce and the temps below freezing.

In the higher altitudes, between Clachaig and Altnafeadh, there was light snow on the ground. Actually, there was light snow nearly to Bridge of Orchy. I'd planned to stop to do a 3.5-mile hike near Bridge of Orchy, but the weather was getting dodgy and I didn't want to get lost at Glasgow Airport at rush hour. Still, I stopped several more times because the area is just too beautiful.

On down to Tyndrum through Crianlurich and then along the shores of Loch Lomond. The clouds had moved in low and it was raining lightly as I drove through Inveruglas to Inverbeg to Dunbarton where I reached the outskirts of Glasgow. And then the look and feel of the place changed dramatically.

I stopped at a BP Connect in Paisley, complete with a version of the Wild Bean Cafe. Made me laugh.

I managed to find my way to Thrifty after a few extra laps of a roundabout or two. No problems with the car and then to the Ramada. . . and an elevator!! After I checked in, I took the hotel shuttle to the airport to take the bus to Glasgow. It was damp and drizzly, but okay for walking. I did several laps up and down and around Buchanan Street and the city centre before ending up, once again, at the Caffe Nero.

My big decision that night was dinner, but the city pubs are not as welcoming as the village pubs, so I gave up on once last dinner of bangers and mash and went back to the hotel for dinner. I also wanted to hang on to my last 12 pounds, just in case I needed or wanted money at the airport. I reviewed my packing one more time before going to bed with my alarms set for 4A for a 7:35A flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home