Scotland 2006

A blog/journal of my preparations and trip to Scotland 2006.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Glasgow

I arrived in Scotland on Monday, 12/18 without any drama. Safe flight, no problems through Customs in Manchester though the man who stamped my passport did think it a bit odd I'm traveling alone. But I showed him my itinerary and he was fine.

Safe trip to Glasgow on a Dash 8-300 (I was sitting next to the wing so could watch the props on my side) and then had a Peugeot minivan for a taxi to my hotel. The girls who checked me in at the hotel were eager to tell me about catching the bus to Glasgow and told me all about the shopping places.

I had no problems catching the bus and just wandered around to get my bearings. I wandered to the River Clyde, then up and around the shopping areas to George Square and the University of Strathclyde. Getting to the university meant climbing up some hills that reminded me of Seattle!

I caught an afternoon bus back to the hotel and took a bit of a nap before dinner. Had a lovely supper of sausage and tatties with a nice pint of Velvet. What a yummy beer!

Got up late this morning--still recovering from the trip--but have had plenty of time to tour and visit places in Glasgow. I stopped for a coffee and then to listen to a Baroque quintet from St. Petersburg playing on Buchanan Street. They were very good. I bought one of their CDs as I figured it might be hard to find it back in the States. Then I took the underground over to Kelvinbridge.

My first stop was the College of Piping where they give lessons for folks to become proper pipers, but there's also a wee museum. It was quite fascinating.

My next stop was a used bookstore on Great Western Road. I couldn't help it. I bought only 2 books--Scottish fiction by Scottish writers. Why not?

Then down Otago Street and over to Kelvin Way to Kelvingrove Park. A huge HILLY park. Up and over and around, just wandering and looking and taking a few pics. Ended up on Dumbarton Rd to Church St to University Place and went in the south gate of the University of Glasgow. Didn't mean to go that route, but I didn't realize there was a fence along Church St until I traveled too far. Chugged up hills through campus to visit the Hunterian Museum, but it's closed, but did go to the Visitor's Centre and a few other places in the area before going back to the underground to return to Glasgow City Centre.

Heard a solo piper on Buchanan St, but he wasn't very good. Had a bacon & brie toastie at a sandwich shop in Royal Exchange Square, then back up to George Square to Rottenrow Park to Taylor Street to Cathedral Street.

Visited Glasgow Cathedral, which is beautiful, breathtaking, and eerie. The current organist--dressed in a kilt with a choir robe over his kit--told me about the 5000-pipe organ. I can only imagine the sound with those vaulted ceilings! Then I tried imagining the lower church area lit only by torches rather than electric light. After visiting St. Mungo's tomb and Blackadder Aisle, I went over to the museum and then wandered across the bridge to the Glasgow Necropolis. It's a massive place, but it was getting late and I was getting tired and wanted to get back for a cup of tea.

So here I am at Caffe Nero on St. Vincent having tea and updating my blog. It's been an extraordinary day. Lovely weather and delightful sights.

I head northeast tomorrow AM, though I'll be up early enough for breakfast I can assure you! I'm nervous and excited about driving, so will study my maps a bit tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home